Client Portal (615) 340-5000

H-4 Work Permits Available May 26, 2015

February 25, 2015

Beginning on May 26, some H-4 spouses will be able to apply for an EAD. To be eligible, their H-1B spouse must (1) have an approved Form I-140 immigrant worker petition or (2) have received an extension of H-1B status beyond the sixth year, based on an I-140 or labor certification filed on behalf of the H-1B spouse 365 days or more before the extension was requested. From all currently available information, it appears that an H-4 spouse may obtain the work permit based on an approved I-140 for the H-1B spouse, even if the H-1B spouse is not employed by the company that sponsored the I-140 petition. This interpretation  is consistent with other policies relating to approved I-140 petitions.  The USCIS issues an EAD within 90 days after the work permit application is filed.